Image by Marybeth Mitcham
Cauliflower Taco Meat
This is one of those, “Don’t
knock it until you try it” recipes. You may not think that cauliflower and
mushrooms would make an acceptable substitute for meat, but you may well change
your mind when you try this recipe. I love this slightly different take on
Brand New Vegan’s recipe because it beautifully mimics the taste and texture of
processed meat substitutes, but comes from whole food, plant-based sources.
- 1 small bag riced cauliflower (about 3 cups) OR 1
large head cauliflower, riced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the riced cauliflower into
a large bowl.
- Chop mushrooms into tiny pieces, then add to cauliflower.
- Pour soy sauce onto cauliflower/mushroom mix and stir to combine.
- Add spices, and stir well,
making sure to evenly distribute spices.
- Spread mixture onto a
parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Stir lightly, and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove, let sit for about 5
minutes, then serve.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: about half of the
recipe | Servings per recipe: 2 | Per Serving: 92.1 kCal | 1.6 g fat, 0.2 g
saturated fat, 0 g trans fat. | 843 mg sodium | 15.3 g carbohydrates, 7.4 g
fiber, 4.3 g sugar | 7.9 g protein
Last updated December 9, 2020