- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced (if you don’t have an onion add 1 tbsp onion powder instead)*
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin*
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or sugar substitute)*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper*
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans (not drained)
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
*All spices could be replaced with a packet of McCormick’s chili seasoning mix
1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the onion, and cook for about 10 minutes. If you are using onion powder you can skip this step.
2. Turn the slow-cooker on low heat.
3. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, both types of beans, tomato sauce, and spices. Stir
3. Let cook for 6-8 hours on low. If you need it done faster you can turn it up to high and cook for only 3-4 hours.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 6-8 hours
Nutrition Information: Serving size: 1/6th recipe | Servings per recipe: 6 | Calories: 500, total fat: 10 g, saturated fat: 2 g, cholesterol: 0 mg, sodium: 350 mg, carbohydrates: 91 g, fiber: 9 g, sugar: 14 g, protein: 13 g
Last updated April 2, 2021